Monday, January 21, 2008

Responses to our new goals

As promised below, I am sharing some of the responses I received from members of the staff and also outside observers after we announced our new goals for patient satisfaction and quality and safety. As you will see, there is a variety of opinion on the issue. This is not expected. I am going to divide them up by doctors, nurses and other staff, and outside folks who read the story or editorial in the newspaper or heard a radio interview.

I am not including my replies to these emails. You can offer your own replies in the comments!

Doctors

#1 -- How does BIDMC plan to determine if harm prevention measures are actually causing unintended harm? This isn't an idle question - we have bypassed much of the usual science of medicine when invoking quality improvement. We assume that if we force providers to don gloves and gowns before examining patients in an ICU that they will still go into the rooms just as much. We assume that the pass-off errors caused by resident work-hour changes won't exceed the benefits from reduced fatigue errors. We assume that the benefit of infections prevented by forms and checklists with central venous catheters makes up for the occasional delay in acute resuscitation. We assume that the benefits of medication reconciliation in the outpatient world will exceed the harm done by the loss of precious minutes spent actually talking with patients (my department can't even provide projected numbers on how long it should take the average MD to type in an average med list for our patients.) These are all measurable questions. Perhaps we assume too much? Auerbach's editorial on the question in the NEJM should have been a clarion call for us to redouble our efforts to evaluate change before declaring it beneficial.
---

#2 -- I am delighted to hear from your email of the Hospitals' re-affirmation to emphasizing patient satisfaction.
---

#3 -- (A) Makes me proud. I think that this is in part an ethics issue: there are few moral responsibilities we have as serious and widely acknowledged as the Hipprocratic admonition to “Do No Harm.”

(B) At our monthly Ethics Rounds (held in every ICU and 15-20 units total) we should consider moving from asking about “any cases of adverse events in the past month that you think weren’t disclosed/reported properly?” to “any cases in the past month where a patient was harmed by something we did that was preventable?”

(C) We could also encourage our individual Ethics Liaisons (designated by the chiefs of more than 50 clinical and administrative units) to think about ways they can help foster a culture in which we take moral responsibility for not harming patients, and constructive “preventive ethics” efforts not to do so in the future.

We have found our many Ethics Rounds a useful tool in the past for exploring in a BIDMC-wide way the views or experiences of front-line clinical staff about ethical aspects of issues such as a possible VIP unit. Our Ethics Liaisons Program is already proving it has great potential for engaging a large group of individuals across multiple departments.
---

#4 -- (Reply comment from another doctor:) RE "C", I would emphasize even more strongly that the moral responsibility is to learn as much as possible from every episode of harm in order to prevent that harm from recurring. We need to remain clear that competent and well intentioned providers may find themselves part of an event in which there is harm, and foster the culture where people see these as learning opportunities to prevent future harm.
---

#5 -- This is good, and it is clear that goal number one can be published because it only provides a measuring stick (new for BIDMC) for something we have already been doing. But goal number two: How does the hospital elegantly air this goal without the fear of being criticized for not having been doing this all along? Perhaps a better wording would be to emulate the wording of the first goal and say that we will establish new measures to ensure that our preventive measures work, so that we can fix them if they don't.
---

#6 -- I really liked your very thoughtful and important words on public radio this morning.
---

# 7 -- I am concerned about the wording of the second goal- there is a problem when you set an unobtainable goal, only to publicly show that you couldn't achieve it. Here is the unobtainable goal:

"BIDMC will eliminate all preventable harm by January 1, 2012."

This cannot be done, because it is stated in absolute terms. Eliminating "all preventable harm" is a noble ideal, but it is unrealistic given the complexity of delivering health care by multiple layers of teams and individuals. The best that any hospital can do is to develop mechanisms to reduce preventable harm, not to guarantee that all harm will be prevented. Any preventable harm, even if it was humanly impossible to foresee it, and even if no other hospital could prevent it, will be held against us as a failure to achieve what we promised.

I suggest that this second goal be revised as follows:

BIDMC will continue to create an environment that reduces preventable harm to the fullest extent possible. To this end, by January 1, 2012 we will be recognized as a national leader in the field of patient safety. We will accomplish this by continually monitoring all preventable and non-preventable occurrences of harm, and continuously improving our systems to allow the greatest opportunity to reduce harm.

This is also a noble goal, but it has the merit of being achievable....
---

#8 -- This is great, and the report in yesterday’s Globe has a lot of people elsewhere talking about it, and very favorably. May I suggest that the next step, given your interest and ability to be well ahead of the curve, would be – where the specific data permits such granularity – to know and report whether results were similar or different segmented by race, ethnicity, age group and gender. It would be fabulous to be able to say, with respect to various indices of care, that there was no difference at BIDMC when examined by race, ethnicity, gender and age group.

Nurses and other staff

#1 -- I treasure my place here and I imagine it will be a very long time before I will look elsewhere. I love this safety and quality initiative and I even love the naming exercise for the "thing"!!! Thanks for being who you are- it makes it possible for us to be who we are as well.
---

#2 -- Thank you for taking the lead in making and returning BIDMC a wonderful place for patients. I hope to contribute to the attainment of this goal as a clinical nurse.
---

#3 -- I am a nurse working at [a specified floor], and was just wondering if this meeting was in response to latest news that medical insurance will not be reimbursing hospitals for preventable occurrences (aside from the obvious that we care and value patient safety and prove that we are one if not the BEST hospital in Boston)?
---

#4 -- Take the leaps...set the goals...Count Me In!
---

#5 -- These are goals we can certainly reach. Over the last two years, we've made great strides creating performance measures in the Department of Medicine's divisions. After many meetings with our colleagues and data collection, it feels good to see the improvements based on our results.
---

#6 -- You have my support...please let me know what I can do to attain the goals you have set.
This is an awesome hospital....and I'd like to help make the patient experience even better.
---

#7 -- Although the initiatives you are describing relate to patient care, I believe that all subjects in research studies are patients as well. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can lend my support and experience to any committees under development or in any way you see fit.
---

#8 -- WOW!
---

#9 -- These initiatives are terrific. I appreciate them both as an employee but more importantly, I appreciate it as a patient. Should I, or my family, be so sick that we need to be hospitalized, I want to feel confident, when we are most vulnerable, that we will be cared for safely. While we have not ever been hospitalized, we have utilized the outpatient services and have run up against some significant gaps in quality care. I've raised those issues with the appropriate managers and in both cases they responded quickly and appropriately. We have a way to go at all levels. You can count on me to help work toward these goals.
---

#10 -- I appreciate your and the Board's "raising the bar" at BIDMC and BID-Needham. I am looking forward to doing my part.

I want to make sure you're aware of something I saw at the FDA website. I imagine you are aware of it but since it appears to be right in line with the announced aspirations and "The Thing" I felt I should take a chance at being redundant. The title of the FDA program is "AHRQ Releases Toolkits to Help Providers and Patients Implement Safer HealthCare Practices" and here is the link.
---

#11 -- A thought about patient feedback: The several times I have been hospitalized, the efforts of staff to go beyond courtesy to make me feel taken care of and cared about have always stayed with me more than anything else about a hospital stay. And of course, apathy, lassitude or grumpiness has made an equally strong impression on me. There were times when I felt mistreated by “bad apples” (not at BIDMC). At the time, I wished I had had the opportunity to give feedback to the hospital. However, in the weakened state of illness, patients do not have the physical or mental energy to seek recourse on their own. If patients were given feedback cards (as often happens in restaurants) when they are admitted (not on leaving, when the memory is less accurate), this would help in more ways than one: the patient would feel he/she had recourse, and would thus leave feeling the hospital cared, even if the “bad apple” didn’t appear to, and 2) if they know patients have this forum, bad apples are likely to take more care how they treat patients.

Question regarding the phrase in your email: “We will measure ourselves based on national benchmarks”: I was just wondering if national benchmarks include a measure of staff satisfaction, since patient satisfaction depends daily on the way they are treated.

Outside folks

#1 -- I can say that after my experiences @ BI & my husband's experiences at an unnamed hospital, you are well ahead in the process & examples.
---

#2 -- Bravo!
---

#3 -- Bravo! I will follow with great interest.
---

#4 -- Reading today's Globe, I was once again struck by how very proud I am to be associated with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Not only do I appreciate your forward thinking but am amazed at your goal to not only be first, but to do right.

Congratulations. This is a great day.
---

#5 -- Congratulations to both of you and your Boards for this outstanding initiative.
---

#6 -- Hearty congratulations and a bold and positive step!
---

#7 -- First rate and I am sure will be supported by all of us.

One issue to think about over time. You can make the hospital experience great and are doing that. However, with the advent of out patient care and day surgery, much of the experience takes place in the doctor's office. Some are not so great at continuing the great feeling one gets at the hospital.

As a lawyer I represent many banks. I am acutely aware that how I treat the bank's customer in documenting the transaction reflects back at the bank.

I hope you can (or can continue to) foster that feeling in your doctors.

Regards and with continuing admiration for what you are doing.
---

#8 -- Congratulations on your quality goals. Nice to see someone put a stake in the ground and focus on what this business is really about.
---

#9 -- Impressive move by you and your board. That's the way to push the envelope. Let's hope others take up the challenge as well.
---

#10 -- Great Globe Editorial today! I’m so proud to now be a BI patient!
---

#11 -- Good luck with the initiative. It’s a big undertaking.
---

#12 -- I am really delighted that you have chosen to meet this head on. Obtaining accurate data and putting the CARE back into healthcare will continue to keep us in the forefront both in Boston and nationally.
---

#13 -- I can’t tell you how excited I am by your commitment to avoid all preventable harm to patients. It is simply the right thing to do. In a similar vein, I first learned of Ascension Health’s commitment to “no preventable deaths by 2008” in the fall of 2004. I have known Dr. Sandy Tolchin for many years and have had the opportunity to learn of his efforts, initially at Borgess Health Alliance in Kalamazoo and now as VP Clinical Excellence in collaboration with David Prior and others at Ascension Health. When I last spoke with him in the late fall, he said, “We have now demonstrated that flawless care is achievable.”

1 comment:

Bernard said...

I hope your results persuade other hospitals to do the same.

Did you see today's NYT article about a simple hospital checklist (http://tinyurl.com/ywxrh6)? I think BIDMC is past this stage, but just in case...